Launched in 2009, Vestiaire Collective is a consignment site with over 6 million fashion members globally and an influx of 20,000 new items per week. Prestigious high-fashion/streetwear brands from the likes of Hermès, Louis Vuitton, Supreme, and more are easily found within their active marketplace. And yes, vintage to contemporary fashion styles are plentiful as long as their is a demand.
Thinking of selling your menswear this season?
Earn great cash while you revamp your wardrobe this season by following our in-depth guide on how to sell your high-fashion/streetwear clothing on Vestiaire Collective.
- Account Creation
- Item Listing
- Picture Selection
- Item Description
- Pricing Strategy
- After The Listing
It's easy to create an account on Vestiaire Collective:
Click on the "Sign Up" tab
- Input your email, and then click on the "Sign Up" button
- On the pop-up prompt, input your password, first-name, gender, location, read/check the terms and conditions, and click on the "Join the Community" button to create an account
- Click on the "Account" tab to tailor your profile account
- Add an avatar picture of yourself or of something that represents you
- Input additional profile information needed for purchasing and selling menswear
- Make your profile personable by occasionally adding a status message in regard to fashion brands you are selling, are in search of or would like to discuss
- Consider upgrading to a premium membership for the seller privilege service of having your sale items processed first, from moderation up to quality control
Be sure to dry clean any lightly worn items and include the receipt/dust-bag if you aim to make a sale at the highest price point possible. If you're into reselling new items, then it's about knowing the latest trends and following hype fashion brands. Always buy below or at regular retail price, and then re-sell quickly to make your money back in full with a decent premium.
Vestiaire Collective has a quality control team that inspects all items before sales are completed, guaranteeing 100% authenticity for items in their marketplace.
Click on the "Sell" tab to begin the process of listing an item for sale:
- Choose one of the four categories for where your item will be listed
- Select the item type
- Input the brand name
- Be specific when choosing the item's sub-category, material, color, and print design
- For sellers who do not have ample time to sell their items, then you may want to look into Vestiaire Collective's concierge service that provides an end-to-end service, where their team of experts will do the selling for you (not available in the US)
Picture selection of your item is just as important as the price due to you selling an experience item online where the customer cannot physically touch it. Keep in mind that item pictures make or break your sale:
- Vestiaire Collective gives you the option to upload 6 pictures, but most sellers upload no more than 3 pictures
- Use a stock picture of your item (make sure the whole item is visible) as the first picture because first impression means everything, especially when your item's picture is used throughout Vestiaire Collective's many webpages
- Include your own pictures after the stock picture of your item. A good rule of thumb when taking item pictures is to use natural light (after the sun rises/late afternoon before sun sets), have a neutral color background (makes your item presentable/pop), and adjust your item so that the buyer can fully see all sides of it
- As a 4th picture, it's worth a try to include a fit picture of yourself or someone on the internet looking clean in the item you're selling so that buyers can visualize the item on themselves
Most sellers on Vestiaire Collective have item descriptions that are no more than 4-5 sentences. Here are a few tips on highlighting your item:
- Avoid giving an explanation for selling your item
- Mention your item's fabric, style, and other details
- Highlight the season release date or brand theme of its collection
- Specify the tagged size in the description if it's not of US origin
- Select if your item is vintage (at least 15 years old), input the exact measurements, specify the origin, indicate the purchase price/year, and if need be include an invoice/serial number
- Be specific when selecting your item's condition
The price section may be small, but there is a lot thought that goes into setting the right item price point:
- If you consistently see the same item you're planning on selling throughout the marketplace, then it would be better to sell it among your personal group of friends/network where there is less competition
- Do your due diligence in researching your item's current asking pricing among competitors on Vestiaire Collective, Grailed, eBay, and Depop
- Utilize a highball/lowball negotiation tactic where you mark up the item to a high price and gradually decrease it by 10% in order to close the sale on your desired price
- Use Vestiaire Collective's resale calculator to get a better idea of the correct price for a specific item
- Consider calculating the commission fee into your item's price point to recoup lost money
An item's commission fee is calculated according to its sale price. Use the index below for better understanding of the varying commission fees.
After The Listing
Stay responsive online to help sell your item by updating your profile status, answer any questions you receive from potential buyers, and be open to offers should you get any. Once your item has been sold, you will have to send it to Vestiaire Collective's quality control team for inspection before they ship it to the buyer (free of charge) and you receive payment.
Vestiaire Collective gives you a prepaid postal voucher to send your item:
- Go to your "Account"
- Go to the "Orders & Sales" tab
- Go to the "My sold items" section
- Click on "Download postal voucher"
Please make sure you enclose the postal voucher with your parcel to ensure your item is recognized quickly upon reception. Vestiaire Collective’s terms and conditions states any sold item that do not arrive at their head office within 30 days will be cancelled and the buyer will get a full refund. If the buyer doesn’t like the item for some reason, then Vestiaire Collective will allow them to sell it again in the marketplace, and you the seller will not be penalized.
An explorer of men's fashion with inquisitive eyes, born and raised in Lakeview, Long Island. My inspiration comes from nature, city streets and the world wide web.
For all inquiries: email@example.com